Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Week 1 - The Beggining

Well this is the start to a new book, new challenge and a new adventure. Believe it or not, when I enrolled for the course, I wanted first year to be this year. There is nothing I like better then a new challenge and I crave experience. I quote from my old Tenpin Bowling Coach
Luke is like a sponge. He soaks in everything that is given to him. (Chris Mesango 2005)

Believe or not, Chirs actually works at Monash in the Psychology department at Caulfield. But back to the point.

To give myself the best possible chance at completing this Unit at the highest level I can possible achieve, I have taken up some very small projects over the summer break. No groups involved but still interaction with clients, meetings, prototyping and implementing. To give an idea of the work I have done, I started with designing a website for the Wyndham Rotary Club for their upcoming fun run. It was a small project and is unbelievable how difficult it is to actually understand requirements. Example of that is the actual layout of the site I changed twice when I gave examples of what I thought they wanted, agreed and then when developed, said it was different then expected. Check out the site at http://wyndhamfunrun.org . It was built in html and css.

I also took another project that currently completing work my uncles website. I am developing a asp.net and mssql backend website. Well due to communication problems with the IT employee at his work, work is at a stand still. With this project though found easier to communicate with and knew exactly what they wanted. All I had to do is clarify a couple of needs, developed a prototype and just added things where appropriate.

Over my life, team work is something I love to do. I have competed in number of sporting teams for local, state and national. On a weekly basis at work, I have to communicate and work in teams to make sure things get done and done properly. I constantly help out team mates, check up on everyone regularly and will solve issues if I can. To give background of my job, I work as a manager of a pool and gym. So as an example of team work, in case of an emergency, communication is crucial whether it would be signalling to staff making them aware of emergency, evacuating pools, communicating for help to get ambulance if needed and depend on each employee to work in a team to make sure that another incident will not occur while attending to first incident.

So I thought I would give some background at how dedicated I am in improving my skills, experience in team work and how I hope I can provide to be a team leader. So lets get to what has happened for this week.

I have a team of 4 at this stage with talks of another member to join. Team consists of Alex Coronel, Luke Wieselmann and Varun Wijewardane to make Strike Solutions. I believe that we are going to do well this year with skills very spread between us, we have work well together in the past and have a lot of great ideas. All members are hard working and all have the same goals.

I have a lot of great ideas that I hope will benefit for the group. Ideas for organisation such as an email for the group which is strikesolutions@gmail.com , using google calendar to have a record of where we are at any time throughout the year, using a program "PASE" which I used in another subject to track times, work actually completed and view errors that have occurred. I hope that there will be more ideas but I think it is not a bad start. We have decided to have team meetings through tute or meet clients on Mondays, Tuesdays meetings if needed and Skype meetings on Saturdays due to how far I live from everyone. But most of this can be changed at anytime. Looking forward to be working with our senior managers Jacob Zhivov and Peter O'donnell. Think we are going to work well and hope that I learn a lot.

To finish with, I wanted to speak about the lecture for today. What Dave said today in the Seminar has widened my eyes even more and inspired me even more succeed in this project. We were told about our organisation and not a unit, given us our timeline and shocked me at the amount of hours needed for the year. 1560 hours per project. I couldn't believe it but when he explained how he got the figures, I believe I will be putting more in. Its just amazing the figure, its such a large number. Some advice or a quote from the lecture that was spoken at the seminar was:

A carelessly planned project takes 3 times longer to complete than expected, a carefully planned project only takes twice as long.

Its amazing how true it is. When you think you believe it, you don't until you really experience it.

My goal is something I know I want and hope I can achieve.


The big HD

No comments: