Friday, April 25, 2008

Week 8

Well this blog starts from Blogging from work on Anzac Day, so boring so why not get paid for actually doing work. Ok, well I'd thought I would add some news for week 7 to get started. We decided to have a team meeting Sunday Evening (The only time we were all available) at uni, discussing use cases for the system and discussions about the long list of time sheets. There are 12 different types, can you believe it. So what we did was completed some work flows for the current system, definitions of all columns on the time sheets and discussed a list of all the use cases. We were extremely productive which I was surprised with, being a Sunday evening. Pinky's Monster pizzas for dinner which went down a treat. Only one issue we had was when discussing about the system, their needs can be met by making a simple excel spread sheet. So we gave Jake a call (JAKE I AM REALLY SORRY) and gave us a different point of view on the matter. In the end we figured that it would be too complex in excel and so we are sticking with Php.

So I did the sleep over in Caulfeild at kind Alex and Varuns house so their was no need for the huge travel home to Werribee. So suited up once again for another client meeting, but first things first, the Studio. Well believe it or not, I think that Sundays meeting was more productive then the studio which is quiet sad really. No need to worry. Did the nice project manager thing by doing a drinks run for everyone. Good old cheep 80c machine, gotta love it. So 8 drinks later, plus PODS because you have to look after the busy Managers of course, it was back to organising the client meeting. Not much we had to organise besides just ensuring we had everything ready.

Came to 3:30pm and Tom Tom'ed(GPS navigate) everyone to the clients head office. I was impressed, they provided lollies, Tim Tam's, lollies and even orange juice, the good stuff. I tell you what, it was a life saver for a 2 hour meeting. The sugar kept me on the ball and think it was the same for everyone. So main things we discussed were the definitions, clarified any that we didn't understand, clarified about reporting side of the system, showed some mock up shots of the proposed system and also discussed our work flows for the current system. 2 hours believe it or not was barely enough to get through everything so I called for another meeting for Thursday. There was things we needed to clarify and we need to be getting more decisions made. I'll discuss further about this further on in the Blog.

This weeks Seminar, I am sorry to say was so boring. The information given was so detailed about such trivial things that should be well known by everyone. The only thing I got out of it was that if I have issues with the group, I can use a guide and a survey to possibly solve the issues. I know it is not a lot but its the way it is.

So like I said before, I organised another client meeting this week due to the large quantities of understanding needed. The only issue was that not all team members would be able to attend the meeting at once because of our conflicting timetables. So I decided to make it Thursday, enough time to prepare and Vishan and myself were free so I thought it would not be a bad idea. The others were thinking of taking time off of uni to turn up to the meeting but crucial material for their classes. So anyway getting back to the point. We had a member from Payroll to attend our meeting which I thought initially was going to be great but ended up making the meeting more lengthen as he did not know what we had proposed and also made heated discussions because he was proposing things against the other representatives. So I don't believe that it would be a good idea to invite him again. Anyway, we discussed some more definitions, went through our work flows. Also, we had on our agenda to have a walk through on all the time sheets. Well, after 20 minutes of discussions between all representatives, we got through the one time sheets. When I asked for the walk through, I asked to remove or add columns to the time sheets if needed, well that was what the discussions were about. So after the one time sheet I had to call it quits for another time. Well that made them think that maybe they should review them before the next meeting which is great. Again, I am frustrated from lack of decisions made on their behalf but I guess I need to be a little more patient. I am really glad it is being done so I should stop at that. Overall I think it was successful but may need to make the meeting a little more productive.


So for this weeks news, I have been extremely busy with little sleep and definitely no social life. I have actually worked less but this project and other subjects have taken so much of my time that I am so stress. Stressed to the max you have no idea. To make things worse, I am not sure what exactly happened but my laptop screwed itself badly, so bad that I formatted it. So that put me back in time. Wasted at least 8 hours of my time, which I could have spent doing something else. Really Really annoyed but I guess these things happen. What was happening was if I loaded multiple programs, it would tell me not enough resources left and the header of each window would disappear, the start bar was inactive and could not restart or turn it off. Huge issue. Not sure if it was related to a program I installed or a Virus.

Till next time

No comments: